|Aloha, EMP-HI Members & Friends!Please join your fellow emergency management professionals and students for a relaxing evening of friendship, food & fun at the SEA Restaurant (http://searestaurantkauai.com/) from 4:30-6:30 pm on April 25th 2019.
As emergency managers, we understand the importance of pre-disaster relationships on effective response and recovery. Through this social, we hope to strengthen these pre-disaster relationships and advance our organizational goals of providing networking & professional development opportunities for emergency managers across Hawaii.
To find out more about EMP-HI, please visit our website at https://emphi.org/. We’d love to see you join our organization, but there is no obligation to be or become an EMP-HI member to attend this event.
See you at the social! Please contact me directly with any questions at 808-346-7492 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patricia Wistinghausen, EMP-HI President
Author: michael iwashita
Now Open, IAEM Call for EMvision Talks Speakers
IAEM Poster Showcase Call for Entries Now Open
IAEM is Accepting Online Exam Requests
Candidates interested in taking the certification test can use the online form on the IAEM website to request the online exam. A how-to guide for using the online exam is also posted on the IAEM website.
The launch of the online exam is in conjunction with the new version of the IAEM Certification exam. The updated study guide has been posted on the IAEM website.
Candidates must continue to arrange exam opportunities using an approved proctor. Further information about approved proctors can be found on page 5 of the IAEM study guide. NOTE: Candidates are not permitted to take the online exam on their personal or work computer. The candidate must use a computer with Internet connection provided by an approved proctor.
January General Membership Meeting
Hau’oli makahiki hou, EMP-Hawaii Members & Guests!
We’re looking forward to another great year of networking & professional development opportunities. Our 2019 kickoff meeting will be held at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport on January 8th, 6:00 PM-8:30 PM HST. Keep an eye on the invite link below for updated room & parking information prior to the meeting.
- Presentation by Ms. Anna Metcalfe on the Honolulu International Airport Emergency Management Working Group
- Certified Emergency Manager/Associate Emergency Manager (CEM/AEM) Open Forum. This is YOUR opportunity to learn more about the International Association of Emergency Managers certification programs and provide your insight/experiences with the certification process.
November Annual Dinner
Please join us for an evening of sharing food, talking story, and networking. This year, rather than taking cash payments at the door, we are simplifying and modernizing to allow advance online payments. Please let us know if you need to pay by cash or check instead.
DATE AND TIME LOCATION
Tue, November 13, 2018 Natsunoya Tea House
6:00 PM – 8:30 PM HST 1935 Makanani Drive, Honolulu, HI 96817
Call for Self-Nominations for EMP-HI 2019 Board of Directors
Aloha Emergency Management Professionals,
Your 2018 Emergency Management Professionals of Hawai’i Board of Directors requests your nominations for the 2019 EMP-HI Board. This is a self-nominating process and the deadline to nominate yourself is: Saturday, October 27 by 2400 hrs.
We encourage each member – those with decades of experience and those just starting out – to consider serving on the board, as it’s a great opportunity to help steer and strengthen our emergency management community around the state.
The appointment for the positions are from January 2019 to December 2019, with a transitional board meeting scheduled for Saturday, December 8, 2018. Job expectations include participation in monthly meetings, which alternate between the general membership meetings and board meetings.
There are many benefits to serving on the EMP-HI Board, some of which include: No Member Dues for the year you serve; Professional Contribution to the EM-field, which counts towards your Certified/Associate Emergency Manager (CEM/AEM) certification, and building closer working relationships with your fellow EMP-HI Board members and others throughout the community.
If interested in running for an officer or director position, please send an email to: email@example.com with the following information:
- First and Last Name
- Position You Want to Run For
- Short Bio (about you, why you want to serve on the Board)
- Picture of You
This info will be shared with our membership for their consideration of your candidacy. Below is a listing of the open positions and a brief description of the duties and responsibilities as stated in our bylaws:
- The position of the President will always be filled by the previous year’s ‘President-Elect.
- Candidates for President-Elect – The President Elect shall be the first assistant to the President. The President Elect shall perform the duties of the President in the absence or incapacitation of the President and perform other duties as requested by the President. The President Elect shall be the chair of the elections committee, and shall hold annual elections, including special elections to replace any vacancies that exist in the board of directors.
- Candidates for Secretary – The Secretary shall maintain accurate records of the proceedings of all meetings of the membership, and of the Board of Directors. The secretary shall be the primary correspondent of the organization and be responsible for all incoming and outgoing electronic and physical mail of the organization, and perform other duties as required.
- Candidates for Treasurer – The Treasurer shall maintain accurate up-to-date records of all monies and securities belonging to EMP-HI. The Treasurer shall bill each member annually for organization dues, and track the status of dues by each member.
- Candidates for Directors, FIVE (5) Positions – The directors shall attend meetings of the Board of Directors and shall assist the Officers in administrative, recruiting, education, and other functions as determined by the Board of Directors for that fiscal year.
Shortly after nominations close, all current EMP-HI Members in good standing will receive an email via Survey Monkey to cast their votes. The voting period will run through Saturday, November 10 at 2400 hrs.
The results of the 2019 Board of Directors Elections will be announced at our Annual Dinner Meeting on Tuesday, November 13th then emailed out to the membership thereafter.
Please send in your nominations as soon as possible and encourage your fellow EMP-HI Members to nominate themselves as well. Should you have any questions about this process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org cc: email@example.com.
October 10, General Membership Meeting
Due to the September meeting being postponed, a special general membership meeting will be held at 6:00pm HST on Wednesday, October 10. We’ll meet at Pacific Wireless Communications, 345 N. Nimitz Hwy, Unit A, Honolulu, HI 96817.
- Update from the HI-EMA Administrator, Mr. Tom Travis, on recent emergencies
- Presentation by Mr. Rodney Boucher on the CERT exercise during RIMPAC 2018
September General Membership Meeting
Our September meeting will be held at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport, Inter-Island Terminal, 7th Floor Conference Room. Click here to register.
- Presentation by the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency Administrator, Mr. Tom Travis
- Presentation by the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport Fire Chief, Glen Mitchell
- Presentation by Ms. Anna Metcalfe & Ms. Laurent Kergall from the Airport Emergency Working Group
Hope to see you there!
Upcoming Training Opportunity
What: Responding to Liquid and Gas Pipeline Emergencies… are some of the most demanding events responders have to face. First Responder’s have to be “street smart” to respond to a transmission or distribution emergency. This program delivers up to date information on pipeline emergencies.
Where: Honolulu Fire Department Regional Fire Training Center…890 Valkenburgh Street, Honolulu, HI 96818.
When: July 30 & 31, 2018, 8:00 – 16:00 hrs.…the same training will be conducted on each day, you only need to attend one day’s training.
Who: Instructor: Michael Callan through his hazardous materials background has worked with pipeline utility experts to develop training programs for first responders such as Responding to Pipeline Emergencies , Propane Emergencies and Responding to Natural Gas Emergencies. The training will discuss response actions to safely deal with a hazardous liquid or gas transmission pipelines or utility gas distribution emergency. It offers a practical approach to handling flammable hazardous liquids and gases on Oahu. http://mikecallan.com/
Mike Callan’s blended learning uses a range of delivery formats to build knowledge, develop skills and change behaviors. By delivering emergency response content more frequently through a variety of channels, blended learning addresses different learning styles and enhances the learning experience of emergency responders.
Participants: YOU!!! and your fellow emergency responders, safety personnel, supervisors, planners, coordinators, government, industry, etc.
Cost: FREE – Instruction, all instructional materials and resources, parking, and lunch. You cannot beat the price!!!
Bonus: Free lunch
July 30, 2018 LINK:
July 31, 2018 LINK:
Ultimately our goal is to reduce accidents and save lives through preparation. Are you ready?